Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Commoner: My Newset Read

The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz



My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have to say that I was chomping at the bit to read this. After having done so however, I am very disappointed. I had expected a rich, lush and involved story that would paint a masterpiece illustrating the life of it's main charactor Haruko and her life as the first commoner to marry into Japan's Royal Family.

What I got was a minimalist canvas with a few splashes of color here and there.

Relationships between characters were often stitlted, halting and never fully developed or explained. Huruko seemed to spend most of her time lamenting her overbarring mother-in-law, despairing her gilded cage and wondering about what could have been. This book is a good cure for insomnia.



View all my reviews >>

No comments: